Friday, December 01, 2006

Study Bibles and Theology

The other day I was in either a Mardel or Lifeway bookstore (I don't remember which), and I was looking at the the theology section. Now despite there being a separate section containing only Bibles, the theology section had three Bibles on its shelves. Those three Bibles just happened to be the Reformation Study Bible, the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible, and the John MacArthur Study Bible.

I just thought that was kind of funny.

The stockers apparently didn't think that any of the other study Bibles contained any theology.

And they'd probably be right (concerning the study notes).

Now that I think of it, I probably find something to laught at every time I'm in a Christian book store. Unfortunately, I also always find something to get mad at. And unless it is a big store like Mardel, I almost never find anything I actually want to read. Le sigh.

While I'm thinking up random stuff, here's another one for you: Last Sunday as I was driving to my church's new building for the first time, I saw another church whose name caught my eye. It was "St. Jude's Baptist Church". I have NEVER in all my years seen a Baptist church named after a saint. Isn't that weird? I wonder how they were able to name their church that without all of the other Baptists stoning them.

Here's a question for you, the reader. That's right, all...zero of you. Have any of you ever seen a Baptist church named after a saint?

2 comments:

Josh said...

Yes. Well. I think I have. I'm sure I must have. Somewhere in all my travels. Ummm. I'll have to get back to you on that one. I'm sure that there is a St. Paul's Baptist out there somewhere. Right?

dreamcoat boy said...

I have never seen that before. That is really strange. I wonder what their theology is.

I have been to a church called "Redeemer Baptist Church". The church was very charismatic. They even had a prayer ministry in which they would self-induce vomiting in order to rebuke the devil! Sounds crazy, but it's true. I actually attended the school of the church and I asked my teacher if there was really such a ministry, and she confirmed it (but added that she did not take part in it.)
They also believed and preached universal reconciliation.

I can see a baptist church starting off good, and later falling into bad theology, but it's hard to imagine a baptist church starting off with a saint's name.